Welcome to Planteck’s web site, THE place for Itoh, tree and herbaceous peony micropropagation. Planteck is dedicated to the tissue culture propagation of plants and was the first and is still the only lab in the world offering large quantities of peonies from tissue culture to the horticultural market.
Itoh peonies (also called intersectional hybrids) represent for many in the peony market the future of the garden peony industry. Itohs have a number of advantages over either herbaceous or tree peonies:
- Stronger stems that hold the flower upright even after wind and rain
- Vigorous growth and extreme winter hardiness (equivalent to herbaceous peonies)
- Flower colors previously only found in tree peonies (yellow, orange, flares)
- Floriferous when mature (up to 50 flowers on one plant!) with flowers carried above the foliage
- Healthy and attractive foliage right through fall
- Symmetric, bushy shaped plant that is cut back in the fall like herbaceous peonies
- Less attractive to ants than herbecaous peonies
Planteck, through its tissue culture technology, can offer a large variety of Itoh peony cultivars easy to acclimatize and grow by every gardener, nurseryman and grower.